Download & Print this checklist to help you plan everything perfectly for your big day!
16 months before
- Purchase a copy of WV Weddings and get ready to start planning.
- Create your budget and decide who is paying for what
- Create a wedding folder or binder to organize your ideas and decisions and start perusing Pinterest (though we all know you’ve been pinning inspirations to your wedding boards since you started dating).
- Choose your wedding party. How many attendants will you have on each side?
- Hire a planner. A planner will save you time and money and provide valuable insight into the best vendors.
- Choose your date and location. Many locations book a year in advance, so once you set your sights on a venue and a date, book immediately.
- Book your officiant.
- Research photographers, florists, caterers, musicians, etc. Your WV Weddings issues and our online vendor guide are great resources for local vendors and ideas. See wedding photos you like? Make note of the photographer. The some goes for cakes, centerpieces, bouquets, and more.
- Interview your photographers and book. Photographers also book well in advance, so don’t wait too long.
- Start compiling your guest list. Think about your budget and who you want to be there to witness your big day.
9 Months before
- It’s time for dress shopping! You’ll want to schedule a time for at least three fittings after you find your gown.
- Meet with caterers to figure out your meal options
- Finalize your guest list
- Create a wedding website
- Book your entertainment
- Register for gifts. Sign up at a minimum of three retailers, and make sure one of them is a furniture store.
- Send out your save-the-dates.
7 Months before
- Order your wedding rings.
- Plan your honeymoon and make sure your passports are up-to-date. Remember: Some countries won’t accept passports that expire within a few months, so double check travel tips for your selected destination.
- Arrange transportation to and from the wedding and reception venues for yourself and for your guests as needed.
- Book your florist!
- Select your invitations
- Shop for bridesmaids’ dresses and groomsmen’s tuxedos.
6 Months before
- Purchase wedding shoes and begin your dress fittings.
- Select and order your cake
- Schedule hair and makeup trials and book your stylists for your wedding day.
- Choose your ceremony and reception music.
4 months before
- Order guest favors and gifts for your attendants
- Finalize your reception menu
- Plan a rehearsal dinner with friends and family
2 months before
- Mail your invitations. If your wedding is a destination affair, perhaps give guests a little more time to plan.
- Schedule final hair and makeup trial.
- Go over your ceremony details with your officiant
- Check on your state’s marriage license requirements
- Meet with your photographer to discuss the types of photos you’d like to get. Walk through the location together to scout good spots for portraits and group shots.
- It’s time for the bachelorette party!
1 month before
- Record your RSVP’s and pass the info to the necessary vendors.
- Pick up your marriage license!
- Mail your rehearsal dinner invitations.
- Schedule your final dress fitting.
- Assign seating to guests. Make sure you think about who would get along with whom!
Week of Wedding
- Send a timeline of events to the bridal party
- Break in your shoes and practice any planned dances. It’s good to be familiar with a waltz before you try one in front of all your loved ones.
- Reconfirm details with your venue and vendor.
- Pack for your honeymoon and weigh your luggage to avoid any airport surprises.
- Choose a day-of coordinator to handle any last minute issues.
- Enjoy a spa day!
The Big day is here!
- Get married!